Wednesday, December 3, 2008

God can speak through others

When I was in my late twenties a friend told me that I had been arrogant and self-centered as a teenager. It was hard to have that image reflected back to me. I was totally unaware of this during those teenage years. It was difficult to believe that I had been blind to who I was. I considered my friend's comment an act of true friendship. I believe that his words were expressing the concerns of God regarding my attitude and my actions. It helped me to see, after less than ten years as a Christian, the radical change that a friendship with God had made in my life. In 2 Corinthians, Chapter 5 it says, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! Paul also says in Galations, Chapter 2, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

In 1 Chronicles, Chapter 28 King David speaks the thoughts of God to his son Solomon. He says, "Serve God with a loyal and a willing mind for the Lord searches all hearts and understands the intent of all thoughts." This is something Solomon often forgets later in his life.

Peter is God's spokesman to the early church in Chapter 2 of his second letter. He warns them about the false teachers among them who promise liberty, through a incorrect gospel message, when they themselves are slaves to corruption.

In Micah Chapter 5 the prophet delivers God's message that his people should not worship the works of their hands. They are to be God-reliant not makers and followers of false gods.

In the Gospel of Luke, Chapter 14 Jesus as "God-the-Son" speaks directly into the lives of the people he encounters saying, "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled. Whoever humbles himself will be exalted." He also warns that those who refuse the invitation to the banquet of "God-the-Father" will not taste His supper.

Those who have ears, let them hear what "God-the-Spirit" has to say through the words of others. But always refer back to the Bible to confirm what they say is not contrary to God's word.

No comments: