Thursday, December 4, 2008

Self-Reliant or God-Reliant?

I have always been a very impulsive person. I often jump into action without taking the time to consider and pray about how God wants me to respond in a particular situation. As a result, I have frequently made poor decisions with regards to my family, my work, my finances, the use of time, and so on. Over a period of 34 years I have had three break-downs largely because of my self-reliant attitude and over-commitment of my time. My life was thrown totally out of balance: spiritually, mentally, and physically.

In 2 Chronicles, Chapter 1 Solomon and the assembly sought out the Lord (for guidance) at Gibeon. Solomon also asks for wisdom from God rather than riches and honour.

The Apostle John tells us in Chapter 1 of his first letter that walking in God's light (relying on God rather than ourselves) gives us fellowship with Him and with others. This means that self-reliance can have a negative impact on each of us and our relationships.

In Micah, Chapter 7 the prophet says, "Therefore I will look to the Lord. I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. The Lord will be a light to me." Micah is God-reliant.

In the 16th Chapter of Luke Jesus tells us that we cannot serve two masters (referring to God or money). But in my case I must decide whether to be self-serving or God-serving? I cannot do both.

No comments: