Monday, December 29, 2008

Life Changing Moments

Erwin McManus says that daily choices are the most spiritual things we do. In only a moment our words, actions, or decisions can change our lives, sometimes in radical ways:

1) Pride-Filled Moments - On three separate occassions I have had nervous breakdowns. They occurred when my depression problems were aggrevated by my stubborness, long working hours, and a reluctance to say "No" to the demands of others. The stress of work combined with too many outside commitments would send me into a downward spiral. Excluding God from my decision making and proudly relying on my own strength was my undoing.

2) Repentent Moment - Admitting that I was a rebel against God and needed His love, forgiveness, and friendship was the major turning point in my life. Believing, trusting, and inviting Jesus into my heart was the greatest "life changing" moment I have ever experienced.

3) Self-Reliant Moment - In 2 Chronicles, Chapter 18 - King Ahab of Israel is determined to go to war against Ramoth Gilead in spite of God's warning through the prophet Micaiah. This moment of self-reliance results in Ahab's death on the battlefield.

4) God-Trusting Moments - In Chapter 7 of Revelation we see that God's people, those who put their trust in Jesus, will be given a mark to protect them from God's final judgements. The Lamb of God will shepherd them and lead them to living fountains of water. God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

5) Steadfast Moments - We can remain steadfast in times of trouble because of our faith and hope in God. This can help guard against decisions based on doubt or despair. Our trust in Him is validated by Zechariah's prophecy made centuries before the birth of Christ. In Chapter 3, God says through His prophet, " For behold, I am bringing forth My Servant the BRANCH. . . . . . . and I will remove the iniquity of the land in one day." God is faithful! God is in control!

6) Moment of True Understanding - In John, Chapter 6 - After being rejected by many of His followers Jesus asks his disciples, "Do you also want to go away?" Peter, in a moment of perfect clarity and understanding (through the Holy Spirit), answers Jesus, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

No comments: