Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Willing Sacrifice

When I was twelve years old I remember using my earnings from delivering newspapers to buy my parents an eight-speed blender for Christmas. I willingly and gladly sacrificed my whole bank account in order to show my gratitude to Mom & Dad. I remember the absolute joy it gave me to give them a gift in appreciation for the gift of love they had given me.

In 1 Chronicles, Chapter 29 the people rejoiced with loyal hearts for they had given willingly to support the building of the Lord's temple.

In 2 Peter, Chapter 3 it says that God is not willing that any should perish. He wants everyone to come to repentance, to willingly sacrifice our self-directed life and return to a God-connected life through Jesus.

Micah says in Chapter 6 that God wants His people to willingly give up their sinful behaviour, to act justly, to love mercy, and to humbly walk with Him. But instead, Israel chose to remain wicked, violent, and deceitful.

In Chapter 15 of Luke's Gospel Jesus says there is great joy in heaven over one sinner who repents. When a person willingly gives up the old life and comes back to God it is a great reason to celebrate.

It is Jesus who made the ultimate "willing sacrifice" as he prayed "Not my will Father, but your will be done!" and then freely gave up his life on the cross for the sake of the whole world.

No comments: