Friday, December 5, 2008

Following the wrong person

About twenty years ago I made the mistake of following the wrong person. I admired and envied his skills and success as a Project Manager. So I decided to venture down a path that would give me the opportunities and experience I needed to become more like him. For various reasons, as this phase of my life played out, I finally realized my mistake. I had excluded God from my decision making and had tried to be someone I was not. Struggling, I was in over my head but found that it drove me closer and deeper into my relationship with God. As I prayed by my bed each night, home-sick and in tears, God supported me through one of the toughest jobs I have ever done.

In 2 Chronicles Chapter 2 it says, "Our God is greater than all gods". There is a danger that people or things can become a substitute or replacement for God in our lives. God is the only one we can completely trust and rely on - no other.

John tells us in Chapter 2 of his first letter that if anyone loves the world the love of the Father is not in him. I had gone astray because of the lure of success and money.

In Chapter 1 of his prophecy, Nahum tells us that God is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble and he knows those who trust in Him. God was my shelter through this stormy episode and knows that my trust is now in Him. Nahum also sounds a warning that the Lord will cut down Nineveh's idols; all of their God-substitutes will be destroyed.

The unexpected return of Jesus is referenced in Luke, Chapter 17. When that time comes will he find us ready to follow him or will he find us following something or someone other than God-the-Son.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is so hard to see the difference between true role models and those who would lead us astray. It was not that long ago that I wanted to model my professional self after a manager in Banff. After working so closely with this person, not only have I seen the truth behind her mask, but it sucked the passion I had for the business. Trying times.