Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Trust of a Child

As a child, I had complete faith and trust in my parents. I remember a two week canoe trip in Algonquin Park. Each night my brothers and I would crawl into our sleeping bags without a care in the world, exhausted from the day's paddling and portages. Why worry? Mom & Dad were there. The concerns about bears, accidents, or high winds and waves never crossed our minds.

My parents were not perfect but they provided a solid foundation for my Chrisitan faith because they loved me unconditionally and fostered my trust in them. That trust, I had as a child, was easily transferred to the process of putting my faith in Jesus.

Many children are not as fortunate. Parents are often unreliable and inconsistent. They can trample and crush a child's self-esteem leaving them emotionally and spiritually damaged. No wonder some adults have trouble praying, "Our Father who art in heaven. Hallowed be thy name......" An abusive Father (or Mother) can create serious road-blocks or difficult detours in a child's journey towards faith in God.

When Solomon prays in 2 Chronicles, Chapter 6 it reminds me of the watchfullness and vigilance of my parents. He asks that God's eyes may be open and toward His temple day and night, toward the place where God said He would put His name. It reminds me of our flourescent orange bathing suits that Mom bought so we could be quickly located if we wandered from our spot on the beach.

As children my brothers and I did not lack for anything that we truly needed. As caring providers my parents actions are echoed by this statement in 1 John, Chapter 5, "If we ask for anything according to God's will, he hears us and will answer our petitions."

In Habakkuk, Chapter 4 the prophet crys out like a child to his Father saying, "O Lord, how long shall I cry and not hear from you." God does hear him and responds. My Mom & Dad responded to our crys of fear, frustration, or sadness. Our concerns very seldom fell on deaf ears.

In Chapter 20 of Luke the personal agenda of the Pharisees is revealed as they question Jesus. Their agenda is similar to that of parents who often lose the trust of their children. The Pharisees are manipulating and attacking Jesus in order to maintain their authority and power. If the parent-child relationship disintegrates into a battle for absolute parental authority (without love and mutual respect) the child will find it difficult to trust that self-centered parent.
This often contributes to a young person's struggle with putting their trust in God.

No comments: