Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Staying Focused

Some years ago I went on a solo canoe trip in Algonquin Park. As I carried my canoe along the portages I had to remain fully focused on every step I took. If I lost my concentration along the rocky pathways, even for a moment, I could have easily fallen and injured myself. Not staying focused could have meant a long wait for someone to rescue me.

I often lack focus in my relationship with Jesus and risk spiritual injury when I don't concentrate during my daily journeys.

In 1 Chronicles, Chapter 22 David says, "Now set (focus) your heart and soul to seek the Lord your God."

Peter says in Chapter 3 of his first letter, to always be prepared, when asked by others, to give a reason for the hope you have but do it with gentleness and respect. I need to focus on being ready to articulate my faith in a loving way when the opportunities present themselves.

In 1 Peter, Chapter 3, Verse 18 it says, " For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive (resurrected) by the Spirit. I need to constantly focus on the reality that Jesus is alive and with me every step of the way.

Micah, in Chapter 1 of his prophecy, warns Israel (the northern kingdom) and Judah (the southern kingdom) that their lack of focus on God has lead to spiritual adultery and will cause them to fall.

In Chapter 10 of the Gospel of Luke, Jesus warns Martha that her worries and fretting have put her life out of focus. He says, "One thing is needed and Mary (Martha's sister) has chosen the right thing." Mary had chosen to focus on Jesus. She was sitting at his feet and listening to Him.

No comments: