Monday, November 24, 2008

Afraid of the dark

If I am swimming in deep water and can't see the bottom it makes me feel uneasy. When I look down the rays of sunlight only penetrate a short distance and then blackness. At age 52 I am still afraid of the dark. The unseen and the unknown throw me into a state of uncertainty. My battle each day, with God's help, is to fight back against my fears of the unknown, my worries about the future, and my unwillingness to take the risks of pouring myself out for others.

In 1 Chronicles, Chapter 19 Joab who is leading King David's army says to his soldiers, "Be of good courage...and may the Lord do what is good in His sight."

1 Peter, Chapter 1 tells us that God raised Jesus from the dead so that our faith and hope would be in God not in ourselves.

In Jonah, Chapter 3 - When God tells Jonah, "Arise and go to Nineveh and preach to it the message I will tell you," Jonah decides to obey God instead of giving in to his personal preference.

In Luke 8 the parable about the seeds warns us that we can be choked with the cares and worries of this life and as a result bring no fruit to maturity.

In a storm while sailing over the deep waters of the Sea of Galilee the disciples cry out to Jesus in fear, "We are perishing!" Jesus calms the storm and asks, "Where is your faith?" Jesus was trying to help them see that if he is with them they have nothing to fear. He is with us!

No comments: