Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Father holds me up

When I was young and could not swim very well I was afraid of going into deep water. My Dad would tell me to put my arms around his neck or hold on to his shoulders and together we would swim out. He would say, "when I count to three take a big breath" and down we would go. At first I was so scared I just wanted to go sit on the beach. But gradually my apprehension became less and less as my Father would quickly come to the surface each time I gave him the signal. A tap on his shoulder meant "Take me up quick! I'm running out of air!" It was interesting how each time I could stay under a little longer because I was learning to trust my Dad.

If I understand the Bible correctly Jesus offers to carry us on his back and promises to support us and lift us up when we have reached our limits. But do my actions reflect this belief? No, not all the time.

In 1 Chronicles, Chapter 18 - King David trusted that God would carry him and the Lord preserved him wherever he went. David set aside the gold, silver, and bronze (the tribute from other nations) for use in honouring God. You cannot swim in deep water if at the same time you are trying to hold on to earthly treasures. You will sink.

In James, Chapter 5 - James gives a warning about living on earth in pleasure and luxury, heaping up treasures for yourself. They will drag you down.

In Jonah, Chapter 2 - When Jonah is in serious deep water (inside the belly of a fish) he declares to God, "You have brought up my life from the pit. I will sacrifice to you with the voice of thanksgiving." That was the tap on the Father's shoulder that brought Jonah up to the surface.

In Luke, Chapter 7 - Jesus says to the sinful woman, "Your faith has saved you go in peace." If we fully trust in God we should be able to venture into deeper water with "peace of mind" He is with us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Its amazing . . . I have the same memory of you . . .