Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Invitation

I remember when I was in my early twenties having an awareness of this invitation from Jesus to push out into deeper water. I would ask the question, "How much does God want from me? Does he want me to sell everything and go help the poor and suffering?" This question continues to challenge me.

I know that each of us is not called to respond in the same way but we are all called to respond. I believe that no matter what we choose it should involve spending our lives for the sake of others.

Jesus says, We must lose our life to find life." Oswald Chambers (in his book "My Utmost for his Highest") indicates his desire to be "broken bread and poured out wine" in a life of service to others. Mother Teresa says, "Following Jesus is simple but not easy. Love until it hurts and then love some more." Shane Claiborne (author of "The Irresistible Revolution") writes, "True generosity is not measured by how much we give away but by how much we have left"

I am not trying to do good things so God will accept me. I already have His acceptance through my trust in what Jesus has done for us. It's more about a desire for God to be proud of me. I don't want to disappoint Him. When we meet face-to-face I long to hear Him say, "Well done my good and faithful servant"

With his help I know it can be done. But there are road blocks - my desire for comfort and security, the limitations of getting older, and my concern for maintaining a proper balance between responsibility to my immediate family versus responsibility to my global family.

Comments welcome.

No comments: