Thursday, November 27, 2008

Breaking Out

I do not have fond memories of my time in Grade 7 & 8. I felt trapped in a crowd that was pressuring me to change. They would quickly label me as strange if I refused to run with them, if I didn't dance to their tune. I became imprisoned by the need for approval from my peers. Deep down I wanted to "break out" and just be myself but I was afraid. The need for acceptance would often drive me to do what I knew I shouldn't do.

In high school, I remember the exhileration of breaking out from the pressure to be someone I was not. It began when I met and fell in love with my future wife. Her acceptance and approval was the catalyst for my "prison break" the "great escape". In empathy, I befriended those who the crowd labelled as "losers". I was even brave enough to wear my Boy Scout uniform to school on the day which celebrates the birth of Scouting's founder - Lord Baden Powell. Much to my surprise my courage to break out and be myself was well received. My canoeing and camping adventures attracted the interest and envy of many.

This became a real life parable for my "spiritual break out" during my early twenties. I met and fell in love with the God who made me. His love, forgiveness, and acceptance was the catalyst for becoming my true self. It released me into the safe and wide open spaces of God's family. It was more than exhilerating to break out from the prison of fear, guilt, sin and self-centeredness. My escape tunnel was the "Good News." I gratefully understood that the kingdom of God was open and available for those who put their trust in Jesus.

This wonderful news was foretold in Chapter 2 of the Book of Micah. He says, "The one (the Messiah) who breaks open (the way to freedom) will come up before them. They will break out, pass through the gate, and go out by it." Jesus says in the Gospel of John, Chapter 9, "I am the Gate. Anyone who goes through me will be cared for - will freely go in and out and find pasture.

In 1 Peter, Chapter 4 we are warned that many will speak evil of Christians because they refuse to run with the ways of this world. We now have the freedom (with God's help) to resist the pressure to conform.
Peter also suggests that we commit our souls (deposit our souls for safekeeping) to God in doing good. To minister (to each other) with the ability God supplies so that in all things God may be glorified. In other words - You are now safe and protected. Go ahead! Break out! Be the person God made you to be! Let them know that it is God who empowers you!
In Luke, Chapter 11 we are told not to hide the "light of God" that now shines in our hearts. We are to put it up on a lampstand so that those who come in may see it. We are to break out from the dark and deep waters of this world and let Jesus -"The Light of the World" shine through us.

No comments: